Living in Florida we are very accustomed to fake news and hyperbole when it comes to media coverage during hurricane season. In order to generate attention, the media prey on ignorance and propagate fear to the point where we fight our neighbors over the last case of water at the grocery. There is a strong correlation in the messaging from the media about the Coronavirus.
It’s hard not to get pulled into the hysteria right now. People are stocking up on food, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, and whatever else in a panic over this virus.
There are some very real concerns and there’s also a whole lot of hysteria. The media LOVES fear… our eyes are glued to the same news shows who’re repeating anything they can to keep us there to feed advertising dollars.
Yes – There’s a bug you need to avoid.
Yes – Public health and safety are important. Stay home and enjoy your family for a couple of weeks. Don’t spread this thing.
Yes – It’s important to be resilient and ready for any major upheaval – be it a bug, war, famine, or natural disaster.
But NO, sitting around in fear won’t help you. Fear lowers your immunity and drives you to make irrational decisions. Fear is a gloomy neighborhood with zombies and monsters lurking around. Fear doesn’t help.
Obviously, everyone needs to practice basic good hygiene, hand washing, covering our mouths, and staying away from large crowds of strangers – social distancing. Just plain common sense. Other practices that help prevent ALL disease are managing stress levels (this might mean turning off the news!) getting adequate sleep, eating a nutrient dense diet and staying away from sugar, and getting regular exercise. Read our blog detailing how stress can make you sick. Being tuned into the things that bring you joy will also help you to better cope with the uncertainties as we move through this crisis.
Supplementation for prevention of Coronavirus
Beyond that, there are additional ways to boost your immune system:
- Vitamin C supplementation is a must during flu season as it is a strong antioxidant and anti-viral. High dose IV Vitamin C therapy is being used to treat the Coronavirus in China with great success. Oral Vitamin C is a great preventive measure to boost immune function – recommended doses of LIPOSOMAL Vitamin C (Better absorbed and less GI irritation) are 1,000 to 5,000mg daily based on gut tolerance. It is a water-soluble vitamin and therefore will not be toxic at these high does.
- Optimize your Vitamin D levels – many Americans are dangerously deficient in Vitamin D which is a critical nutrient for many bodily processes including bone homeostasis and regulation of our mood. It is especially important in immune health as it modulates both the innate and adaptive immune response. Vitamin D should be taken in combination with Vitamin K to be maximally absorbed. Depending on your serum levels, most of us need at least 2,500mg D3 and 90mg of K2 daily. According to Harvard School of Medicine, optimal blood levels should be between 40-60ng/ml. If you are unaware of your D3 level, have your physician order a simple blood test.
- Zinc is known to play a central role in the immune system, and zinc-deficient persons experience increased susceptibility to a variety of pathogens. Over the past 40 years, deficiency of zinc in humans is quite prevalent which necessitates the need for supplementation especially during flu season. Typical dosage is 20 mg per day as it is difficult to eat enough zinc rich foods to reach maximum levels in the blood stream.
- Medicinal mushrooms like Reishi are excellent immune boosters. Reishi mushrooms are best-known for their purported effects in boosting the immune system and can also prevent cancer and help with Alzheimer’s Disease.
- The immune system works best if the lymphoid cells have a delicately balanced level of glutathione according to Cambridge University. Glutathione is called the body’s “master antioxidant” and immune system and detoxification system cannot function without it. IV supplementation is used in severely immune compromised patients. Oral supplementation can be helpful when taken in the liposomal form as the GI environment destroys glutathione before it is absorbed.
- Mucous membranes of the mouth and nasal cavity are the main portals of entry into the body of the Corona virus. Experts agree that keeping these tissues moist and healthy builds a more resistant mucosa. Biocidin Throat Spray provides a blend of herbs and essential oils that stimulate immune activity and is a powerful antibacterial/antiviral that can be used daily without the worry of systemic resistance that oral antibiotics can trigger. Colloidal silver is a strong anti-viral that can be incorporated as a nasal spray to keep the nasal mucosa moist and create an environment that thwarts the virus from entering the body through the nasal cavity.
Bottom line against Coronavirus
Let’s all try to remain calm and be smart about preventing the spread of Coronavirus. If you would like to protect yourself and your loved ones, you can purchase the supplements list above by visiting our dispensary First time patients use access code DrRusso to register. Take 10% your order by entering voucher code WWG10 at checkout. If you need help or would like to place your order over the phone please call 888-301-9009.